Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Projects for My Needles

It's only February; we had snow flurries yesterday; and I have Spring fever.

I know this because I keep checking the dogwood trees in my backyard for the first signs of blossoms. Ridiculous, you say. Absolutely, I agree. But then there's that settled-in winter feeling -- you know, the one where you're content with one or two large fuzzy projects on your needles...feet snugged in hand-knit woolies, cup of hot tea steaming at your side, dreamily half hibernating the afternoon away.  That feeling -- it's gone! And I've got crocheted sandals tickling at the insides of my fingertips -- in February. So it must be Spring fever.

To temporarily ward off these unseasonly aspirations, I treated my crochet hook to a Ruffly Spring Scarf using about half a skein of Ice Flamenco Glitz in cream and gold. This is the second time I've used the Flamenco. Before Christmas I knitted a similar scarf and was not particularly pleased with the way the yarn insisted on sliding off the needles, making a chore out of what should have been an easy project. So this time I chose to crochet and I was much happier with the results. Since I still have a couple of skeins (and a half) left, I'll need to do a bit of investigating to see what else I can use this mesh for.  I am speculating about trying my hand at some sort of fascinator or something where I can make use of the mesh as part of a veil.  If you have any ideas, I'd love to listen!


Ruffly Lace Scarf
Now Available at Design 89 at a Low Spring Fever Price $22.50
 


Since Springtime marks the beginning of wedding season, I just could not resist when I found a pattern for a lacy wedding shawl. I have been holding on to an amazing white DK merino, waiting for the perfect project, and I do believe this may be it! The pattern calls for a lace weight yarn with #3 needles, but with swatching, it looks like my gorgeous merino wool and #6 needles might do the trick. I may try a swatch with #8s, just for comparison's sake. I'll let you know what I decide and I'll share the pattern details too.


Glossy White Merino DK

 
 
 
Finally, in honor of Presidents Day, which used to be celebrated on both George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays, I'd like to share a dilemma many of us have faced when momentarily overcome by the many Presidents Day sales...




Warmly,
Maddy

No comments:

Post a Comment