Monday, February 20, 2012

A Barrel of My Monkeys

This was one of those great weekends where I "accomplished" less than nothing but had more fun than a barrel of monkeys doing it! Why, you may wonder? We had two of my favorite sidekicks, Emma (age 8) and Andy (age 6) with us from Friday afternoon till Sunday.
 
 
Emma has decided that she wants to be just like Grandma (uh, that would be me) so that she can have a studio full of yarn and a shop on the computer. She also wants to be an artist, a vet, an astronomer, and she has an interest in dinosaurs. Andy says that when he's 16 he'll be a policeman, but when he grows up, he's going to be a pro wrestler - just like on TV.

Between crochet lessons for Emma, video game lessons for me from Andy (how does a 6-year-old have such keen eye-hand coordination?), BBQ chicken, cookies, pizza, cinnamon rolls, cookies, a full gallon of milk, discovering that cracked black pepper turkey tastes like yuck and apricot preserves are a good substitute for strawberry jam, there were serious talks, serious laughs, and enough snuggling and cuddling to, hopefully, keep me till next time.

The sounds of their giggles, the slams of doors, bedtime prayers so innocent and sincere that they brought tears to my eyes, the whisper-breath sighs of sleep, and, best of all, "Grandma, I love you so much" have all been stored away in that special spot God places in a grandparent's heart, easily accessible on days when things are just too lonely and quiet.

And, after just a bit of reconsideration, I've decided that I accomplished so much this weekend...



Emma and Andy both qualified for the Split Club at Taekwondo


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Your G-kids are gorgeous!

    So, what's wrong with Cracked-Pepper Turkey? It sounds yummy - like Turkey Pastrami... Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete